I received some Shredded Coconut to sample and review from Tropical Traditions. Tropical Traditions 100% natural Shredded Coconut is made from organic dried coconuts in the Philippines that are grown with no fertilizers or pesticides. This premium dried coconut contains no additives or preservatives, and is not sweetened. Unlike most dried coconut on the market, our dried coconut products are not treated with sulfites to keep them white. They are a great addition to recipes and baking, or just for snacks! Note: The Shredded Coconut is a very small cut, suitable for baking, such as making macaroons. The Coconut Flakes are a larger shredded coconut cut, perfect for garnishing or toppings, such as the top of a coconut cream pie. The Coconut Chips are a much larger cut that can be used as a snack food. You can mix them with nuts and dried fruit, for example.
As soon as we got it in the mail we opened it and tried it. It's very good. You can tell that it's much better than the shredded coconut we have had in the past. I plan on making this recipe with it this weekend.
Creamy Coconut Oatmeal
Makes 2 generous servings or 3 smaller servings.
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup unsweetened organic shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 + tablespoon virgin coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup quick cooking oats*
- 2 tablespoons organic coconut cream concentrate
Remove from heat, add coconut cream concentrate, and cover. Let sit for 3 minutes. Remove lid, stir well and serve.
Top individual servings with your choice of toppings. Ex: maple syrup, slivered almonds, and just a little touch of heavy cream or some additional milk. This is also good with chopped dates.
This oatmeal makes a fast and filling breakfast, particularly if served with some fresh fruit on the side.
*Note: You may also use regular rolled oats for this recipe. Simply increase the amount of liquid used and add the coconut and vanilla after the oats are cooked through.
Doesn't that sound delicious? I can't wait to try it. This is a lot of shredded coconut so we are going to make some other coconut recipes with it next week too. I can't wait to try it a bunch of different ways. If you would like to enter to win your own Tropical Traditions Shredded Coconut just enter the giveaway below.
Giveaway: (you must be a public follower of my blog to enter, leave your email in your comment if it's not visible on your blogger profile, leave a separate comment for each entry you complete)
1. Go to Tropical Traditions and come back and leave a comment letting me know another item you want to try from their website.
2. Sign up for their newsletter, leave a comment letting me know you subscribe to their newsletter.
3. Email subscribers to Let's Eat 2 Day get an extra entry, just leave a comment letting me know that you are an email subscriber.
4. Like Tropical Traditions on facebook, leave a comment letting me know you did and your facebook name.
5. Like Let's Eat 2 Day on facebook, leave a comment with your facebook name letting me know you did.
You can enter up to five times. Giveaway ends 8/21/11 at 7 PM EST. I will use random.org to select a winner. I will notify the winner via email, winner will have 72 hours to respond to the email with their mailing address if they do not respond in time, I will have to choose another winner. No PO Boxes, contiguous US only, please.
Thanks to all who follow and participate!